Installing these updates may cause applications based on the Microsoft JET Database Engine (Microsoft Access 2007 and older or non-Microsoft applications) to fail when creating or opening Microsoft Excel .xls files. The error message is, “Unexpected error from external database driver (1). (Microsoft JET Database Engine)".
Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release. More details can be found in the links below for each update:
- Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2 security updates KB4041681 & KB4041678
- Window 8.1/Windows Server 2012 R2 security update KB4041693
- Windows 10 security update KB4041676
Until Microsoft releases a fix, it's possible to uninstall these Windows updates from any affected workstations:
- Go to Start > Control Panel
- Under Programs click Uninstall a program
- Click View installed updates on the left side of the window.
- This displays all updates installed on the system.
- Locate the update(s) (KB4041681 & KB4041678 for Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2, KB4041693 for Window 8.1/Windows Server 2012 R2, or KB4041676 for Windows 10), right-click it and select uninstall from the menu.
- This removes the update from the system.
- Reboot the workstation.
In some situations, exporting in the CSV format can serve as an alternative solution:
- Go to File > Export
- Select the Comma Separate Values (CSV) format