There is a function in GIFTS Online that allows you to combine two records maintaining all information stored underneath both of them into one record.
1. Go into the search area and search for both/all of the duplicate contacts
2. Once you have found the contacts click the check box to the left of each organization.
3. There is an option under actions to consolidate duplicates. (Please note that this option only appears when you have 2 or more records selected)
4. You are now presented with a selection for the valid record and the duplicate(s). You can press the arrow in this box to move back and forth which record(s) is the duplicate and which one will be valid.
5. Click through to consolidate the records, you will then be asked if you want to delete the duplicate record(s), which you do.
The records should now be combined.