A list or comparison for just two years/time periods
Use the Comparative Report can list totals for each one and perform an analysis between them.
A list or comparison for two or more years/time periods
A constituent Export can be used to calculate those totals by exporting summary information total amount fields multiple times. (Note: A constituent Export is recommended over Query to help avoid possible duplicates in the results.)
Before getting started, it's important define the settings for each year/time period in order to export accurate totals. Each year/time period's summary information field must have consistent settings so the data is accurate between them (i.e., "apples to apples"). Consider the following for the desired export's giving totals:
- Soft Credit settings
- Matching Gifts settings
- Gift types
- Gift dates for each period
Here's an example in reviewing these settings: When planning an Export totals to compare giving between years/time periods, review the following to plan the settings for each year/time period's summary field:
|Should be the same in each year/time period:
||Might be the same or different depending on the year/time period:
||Should be different in each year/time period:
After defining the summary field settings, here's how to create an export that covers multiple years/time periods:
- Create a constituent export file. (Tip: Add a small query or just one record on the General tab while you build and develop this for quick testing.)
- Insert identifying fields, such as Constituent Information > Name.
- If not already done, go to File > Save to name and save this Export.
- Add a summary field for the first year/time period at Summary Information > Gifts > Total Gift amount
- On the General tab, enter the dates, soft credit, and matching gift settings.
- On the Filters tab, specify the desired campaigns, funds, and appeals. (Note: A gift query can also be used if needed.)
- On the Gift Types tab, specify the desired types to include and other settings.
- Click OK.
- In the selected Output Fields at the top, click on the bolded New Constituent Export (or the name of Export from step 3).
- Repeat steps 4 through 9 to add a summary information field for each desired total.
- Before exporting, go to File > Save to save all your work. (Tip: Use File > Preview File Layout to view up to the first 15 rows so you can check your work without having to run the full Export.)
- Run the Export.